Saturday, April 29, 2017

#34 April 27th and 28th




 April 27th

We had leisurely morning waiting for slack tide. Had stand by help as we backed out with some wind and tide toward our stern but I did "good".  The Edisto Cut was narrow with tremendous current leading into Charleston Harbor where we could continue on to the ICW.

We were following the "Nina" and "Pinta" as we entered Charleston Harbor. Their home port was Wilmington NC but they were not going there.
The OLD and NEW!


We have been very fortunate so far this trip to experience very little heavy chop or high waves at Ocean Inlets. Of course we passed the famous Fort Sumpter protecting the harbor from the enemy!


So, in my log I am making notes:  "at 3:15 been kind of shallow having to hunt for 10 ft". (That is what I am most comfortable with even though I have a draft of only 3'9").  "We must be vigilant"
3:30 We are aground.
Put out a kedge anchor toward the channel so that when the tide came up we  would just float that way. Then we just sat and waited.  We were very close to low tide and the water would soon begin to rise again.

 
Yep! That's right! But Mother Nature sure knows her stuff. 45 minutes later We watched as  the bow began to move. Floated right into the canal just as we hoped. We pulled up the anchor and were underway again.
Of course, we were just befuddled that we could have let that happen - - - All is well --- show me a sailor that has never run aground and I'll show you a $3 dollar bill!!


April 28th

This am, as most mornings we relax, have our coffee. Check the strainers to the engines, about 1/2" of little sea creatures, probably shrimp.  0837 we are underway. 0845 I get a "Check Engine" warning and a weird squealing sound. Shut down the engine drifted just off the channel right of way and dropped the anchor. Our first thought was that we tangled with underwater lines from derelict crab pots in the anchorage.  We knew we had not run over or into pots we could see. Checked the dripless shaft seal. It was HOT! made sure the water intake was functioning, yes. Now what? Now I'm beginning to not feel so good about myself!? And, we are not turning that engine back on. I did have propulsion forward and backward but unsure about tangles around the prop causing friction. So, we tried to go below the boat with our goggles to see --- couldn't see 2" in front of your face. Called Towboat US for a tow and they came within 30 minutes and took us to Georgetown, the lift was manned and waiting for us as Captain Ron,  yes that's right, came abreast of Simpatico and guided her into the lift slings.



Under Tow

Nothing wrong!!! Clean as a whistle!!

So back into the water and pulled over to a dock. Jasper, great guy, and I began going over everything again. I'm thinking, Impeller! Jasper, concurs, but turns around in the engine room and says "the Seacock is closed!"   "AAAGGHHH!" I say. when I checked the strainer last night I didn't re-open the raw water shut-off valve!  I know, I know, look at me and call me ---------!
 In short order, with Jasper's help we changed what was now a bad impeller due to heat, re-checked all systems and we were underway again by 1500.
All along this Waccamaw River run are Cypress trees, and Cypress swamps. Many literally growing in the river. It is a very serene passage.
In spite of the day's activities we managed to get 40 Statute miles under our belt and anchored in beautiful Bull Creek. Lots of Friday nite activity but all settled down by dark.

Can't say we were all that settled!

No comments:

Post a Comment