Thursday, April 20, 2017

#32 The JOURNEY continues

April 18, 2017    The Journey begins. . .

It has been more than a year since I last posted - - - as time took its toll and the Good Lord decided that Bill had better vantage point to look over us from Heaven --- Jesus called him Home on August 17, 2016. It's been a long and tough transition, the kids and I are shattered. BUT, true to the spirit instilled in all of us of a life to be lived to the fullest we are coping. Since our last post we sold our house in Lapeer, Mi. The boat was in the Chesapeake Bay about 30 miles South of Annapolis MD. We ran out of season and brought the boat back down to Florida. Settled into the house Our daughter Terri had built. That's when things went from bad to worse.

The time has come to complete The Journey.  I have prepared Simpatico for a voyage to finish the Great Loop that Bill and I started in July of 2014. I have learned a lot! Took classes, seminars on boat systems, changed oil and filters and checked all systems --- myself! Of course, I had good capable friends watching my every move and making suggestions and catching mistakes.
Daughters Wendi and Terri were here to check out the boat and see me off.



Checking fuel, and bilge!
They said She was spotless!
In spite of their apprehension, they were excited for me.


Mickey Anga, my first crew member, and her husband John

I worked most of the winter on an itinerary taking me up the East Coast of the US to the Chesapeake, up the Potomac to DC and back; on North to Baltimore, through the C & D canal to Delaware Bay. South to Cape May in New Jersey, up the Jersey coast or NJICW to New York Harbor. Then up the Hudson River to Waterford and the Erie Canal. West on the Erie to the Oswego canal and Oswego NY on the shore of Lake Ontario. The next leg is to cross Lake Ontario to Trenton Ontario where the Trent-Sevren Historic canals and locks traverse through Ontario to the Georgian Bay at Port Sevren.
Ill then head East through the Georgian Bay to Kilarney, Ontario, Little Current on Manitoulin Island, North Channel and Drummond Island MI to clear customs and then around the corner to Detour to 'cross our wake' we made when we started.

All this has been enhanced with recruiting crew for every leg of the Journey. I will not be alone.

We are ready to cast off! 


Wendi took this photo as we pulled out of the Harbortowne Marina. She had been taking pictures as we left the dock, Soon she was yelling, "Mom, Mom, come back, I forgot my purse on the boat!"

Mickey took this picture - - I just can't wipe the grin off my face. I am so very blessed!


We had to wait for this fellow, Actually 3 tugs to move these
big dredging tubes across the channel in front of us.

Lots of these, remnants of October's Hurricane








1st day's run! Anchor's down. All is well,   ----yes, it is Rum!!

This has been a journey in itself getting ready. I have been so excited and anxious. Thank you to all who have encouraged me and helped and offered to crew. Please keep us in your thoughts and check in on our blog every once in a while. Can't promise it will be posted every week, but I will try.



No comments:

Post a Comment